11.19.2009

Jewel Box Architecture

Since the economy took a plunge, I have come across more and more articles about downsizing the average American home. Prominent home builders and even market-savvy architects are starting to offer smaller homes - even "micro" homes - as part of their inventory. The term Jewel Box Architect is being thrown around for such homes that are less than 2000sf with compact footprints and a high degree of craft inside. What a revelation! Those homes have been our bread and butter for years. The house on Crooked Lane perhaps best exemplifies that architectural concept. It was built in 2006 and the owners have really personalized it.

One of my personal favorite houses we have completed recently, the Clarkesville Cottage, exhibits a jewel box quality although to me it seems rather roomy at 1915sf. I wish I had some interior photos of it to show how cozy it is. Maybe that will be part of my next entry...

No comments: